It's a race against time
May 1. That's the first hard deadline we've faced in this entire process.
Good things happen if we can get the CO (certificate of occupancy) by then. Things we'd like to have happen. But it's going to be veeeerrry close, indeed!
We're definitely in the finishing stages. Faucets are in (except for the one I forgot to order for the outside-water line in one of the laundry sinks, which is en route.) Woods has been finished with its last coat, cork floors go in fairly soon, and then the final coat of paint and floor finishes. Erik and I did a walk through last week, and I came away with a note-book-page-long list of to-dos for each of us. We'll do a second walk through sometime this week with Husband, who finally decided to return from DC!
- Put the surround and mantle around the fireplace in the family room.
- One sink is not draining properly; need to check the others.
- Need to order the custom glass half-wall for the master bath shower.
- Need to get the lights in. They are ordered (as of 3/31) but they need to arrive and be installed.
- Need to install the new catgenies (arrived yesterday)
- Closet design -- Erik has a guy ...
- Choose a color for the doors for final paint job
- Husband's workshop needs a door -- Erik has offered to give us the temporary (industrial) door we've been using for the garage.
- Water softener and treatment system. What, from whom, order, receive.
- Test everything
- First (crew) cleaning
- Final (professional) cleaning
Erik, too, has a list
- Finish tub deck and vanity in master bath
- Caulk around tub and vanities
- fill nail holes in trim
- remove two side splashes we didn't like; caulk instead
- closet access panels
- door stops
- light for stairway and living room lights (hall) - currently on a single circuit - can we put each by themselves?
- basement cement cracks
- estimate for using the same slate we used in the entryway for the fireplace surround (a girl can dream, after all)
- Install the access panel on balcony (so I can hook up a hose to the tap just below to water plants.)
- Missing kitchen under-cabinet light
- Missing under-cabinet light in the toe-kick for the powder room.
- Install screened porch door.
- Finish stairwell from garage door to ground from the deck.
- Finish plumbing fixtures (toilets not in yet -- just one for the moment.)
And, of course, these are just the ones we've thought of so far. I'm sure there will be more.
Luckily, most of these are NOT required for the CO. We have to have a minimum of lights in each room and by each doorway, but they don't have to be fancy -- bare light bulbs will pass inspection. The fireplaces are to code, now, although not as pretty as they will be. So, once we have the toilets and the master bath usable, we expect we can pass inspection.
I'll keep you posted on how we proceed. Pictures soon.